Adjustment of Status

Adjustment of Status it the process by which a foreign national who is already present in the United States applies to become a permanent resident (or “green card” holder).

Generally, before submitting an application for Adjustment of Status, a foreign national must prove that he or she is beneficiary of an approved (or pending) Immigrant Petition. (The Immigrant Petition is the underlying application that shows why the foreign national is eligible for permanent residency and is often submitted by a sponsoring family member or employer).

One primary advantage of the Adjustment of Status process is that it allows foreign nationals to become permanent residents without leaving the United States to obtain an immigrant visa. Those who have applied for Adjustment of Status are also eligible for a temporary employment authorization document (EAD) and advance parole (travel authorization) while the underlying application is pending.

If you are interested in applying for Adjustment of Status, or if you have questions regarding the application process or related legal issues, please contact our office.

Contact Us

    DISCLAIMER: Do not send any confidential or sensitive information without first speaking to one of our attorneys and receiving confirmation that the appropriate conflict checks have been cleared and the firm determines that it is otherwise able to accept the engagement. Any information or documents sent prior to receiving such confirmation cannot be treated as confidences, secrets, or protected information. Submitting information through this website does NOT automatically create an attorney-client relationship.